The Messageboard:

Remember, I have moved my book reviews to their own blog. Tracy's Book Nook is now active.


Friday, July 25

An Opened Window ~ Friday Fiction

It is time once again for Friday Fiction, hosted by Patty at her Patterings blog. This was an early entry in the FaithWriters Weekly Challenge. It was lots of fun to write. It you would like to read more great fiction, or participate, please go to Friday Fiction. I hope you enjoy the story.



“Hello”, Laura answered her phone on the second ring.

“Laura, its Ginny. Do you have a minute?” asked Ginny, sounding very upset.

“Yes Ginny, of course. What’s wrong?”

Ginny knew that if anyone could help her to feel better it was her best friend Laura. They’d been best friends since high school, and now here they were almost 30. Nothing really had changed between them, even though Laura had gotten married two years ago and was expecting her first child.

“It’s the job in Denver. I didn’t get it. I know it would have been hard leaving, but it was so perfect for me. The money and benefits were great and it wouldn’t have been so far from home that I couldn’t come back often. I wanted this so badly and I prayed so hard for this to work out and now it hasn’t. What am I going to do?” Ginny sounded as if she was on the verge of tears.

“Oh Ginny, I’m so sorry! I know how much you wanted that job. It would have been perfect for you. I really wish I could help you. But you know, when God closes a door…”

“He opens a window”, finished Ginny. “I know that. And I know that He has plans for me, to give me a hope and a future, blah, blah blah. I just wish He would include me in those plans.”

“Alright Ginny Beth, you know that God is NOT in the consulting business”, Laura laughed. “Trust Him. He’s never let you down before has He?”

Ginny knew Laura was right. But why was He keeping her here?

~~~

“Hello”, Laura answered her phone on the second ring.

“Laura, hi, its Ginny. Do you have a minute?” asked Ginny, sounding excited.

“Yeah, the baby’s napping. What’s up?” Laura responded.

“I met someone special. He’s really great and fits almost every requirement I have on my list that I’ve been praying for.” Ginny was practically giggling with excitement.

“Almost?” asked Laura

“He’s tall, and of course very handsome. He has a good job, a great personality, is really smart and he makes me laugh a lot. He has blonde hair instead of brown, but I guess I can live with that. He enjoys hiking like I do – in fact I met him in my hiking club. But the best part is he’s a Christian! His name is Alex, he just moved here and he’s looking for a good church” Ginny gushed.

“Wow, he does sound like a good catch”, said Laura, hoping that this time he was as good as he sounded. “When do we get to meet him?”

“Well, I was hoping that we could all get together on Sunday after church for a barbeque. How does that sound?”

“Sounds great. Be at our house at 2:00 and we’ll grill him, uh no, we’ll grill the steaks and talk to him”, Laura replied.

Ginny laughed, “I know you meant it the first way. You and John always grill my dates, but I just know you’ll like him. I’ll bring the pasta salad and dessert. We’ll see you on Sunday!”

~~~

Ginny and Laura were alone together getting ready. Even the air seemed to be filled with excitement. Laura looked at Ginny and was truly delighted for her.

“Ginny, you look beautiful”, Laura said, with tears in her eyes. “I’m so happy for you. Alex is a great guy and I just know that you two are going to have a strong and loving Kingdom marriage.”

“Thank you, Laura. Can you believe it’s finally here? I’m getting married! To an amazing guy! It took me an awful long time, and I’ve had more than my share of frogs, but I finally got my prince! Isn’t God good?”

“God IS good!” said Laura. “He always knows what He is doing, doesn’t He? You know what I was thinking the other day? I was thinking about the job in Denver and how if you’d gotten it…”

“Yeah,” interrupted Ginny, “I was thinking about that too. If I had gone to Denver, I never would have met Alex. I remember being so disappointed, but I guess God closed that door so he could open this amazing, wonderful, too-good-to-be-true window. He really did have plans to give me a hope and a future, didn’t He?”

“He sure did. Come on Ginny Beth, let’s go. You’re getting married, and your prince is waiting for you!”

12 comments:

LauraLee Shaw said...

This piece is so well-written, and I enjoyed the characters very much. The message is best of all.

Sara Harricharan said...

A modern day kinda cinderella thing, huh? I liked it, I guess I really like happy endings, but I love that she found her 'prince' in the end and I had to laugh at the hair color preference to what it really was. Such a fun read! ^_^

Darlene said...

I love this! Girl...you can write!
I like the reminder that "When God closes a door He opens a window."
Just what I needed to hear. I may not have a job due to lack of funding at my school. I have been in the dumps about it. I love working with the children and have made great friends at job. Now I am facing uncertainty. My husband travels M-F, daughter is leaving in Aug. to college ..her freshman year. I was looking forward to school starting and getting involved. I knew between church and school...I would be busy and not feel so alone. Now, who knows. I am praying the window will open soon.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Blessings,
Darlene

~Amy~ said...

thanks for stopping by today. Glad I was able to brighten your day.

Peculiar said...

Oh, this is really good! Such a neat short story of God's sovereignty and grace in our lives. We never know what He is up to, but we must trust Him. The results, as you have clearly shown, are always good.

I also like the fact that God gives us such good and loving friends to depend on and admonish us.

Good messages. I'm glad I stopped by today. Soon, I will add a blog roll to my blog, and I would like to have yours on mine too. I really enjoy reading your posts.

Darlene said...

I have an award for you over at my blog. Stop by when you get the chance.
Blessings,
Darlene

Julie Arduini said...

Great characters and a sweet ending. I love reading your things.

Joanne Sher said...

Love this! Great message and an absolutely delightful story to go with it. Thanks for sharing (and commenting on mine!).

Josh said...

Take it from me, Denver isn't the place to hookup with someone. LOL. Just joking. I remember reading this when you first entered it. I really like the message here. Everything that happens, happens for a reason. Everything that doesn't happen doesn't happen for a reason. God has a perfect plan for all of us. I just get impatient watching it slowly unfold. :)

Patty Wysong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patty Wysong said...

*blush* That deleted comment was ME! *eye roll*
Sometimes I am horrible at getting the right name with the right person--and this was one of those times. I am so very sorry, Tracy--feel free to laugh!!

ahem. Moving right along...
I love romances and this one is just hints at it. I love seeing how God worked out the details for them! He is such a God of details. Love it!

~Amy~ said...

I loved that. God is Good all the time. We lose faith and question him but he knows the finally outcome. He holds our future in his hands.