The Messageboard:

Remember, I have moved my book reviews to their own blog. Tracy's Book Nook is now active.


Wednesday, July 23

And Life Goes On

As you’ve probably noticed, I’ve been a bit silent lately – which is to say I haven’t been writing much. Certainly those of you who know me personally realize that silent is not my style, whether grieving or not. :) But I’m back now and wanted to touch base and give a bit of an update.

Saying goodbye to our beloved dog, Ashley, was very difficult. She really was a GREAT dog, friend, companion and (as a friend would say) furbaby. As to be expected, the first few days were difficult. There were things like washing and putting away her food bowl and looking for her first thing in the morning to let her out, that were especially difficult. It would be a moment of absent-mindedness and then it would all come back like a wave crashing down. Now we don’t look for her as much, but we will never stop missing her. The tears seem to have stopped, but the love remains.

While it may seem silly to some, I went to PetSmart and bought a Memorial Stone to place in the back yard. It is intended not only for Ashley, but will serve as a memorial for our other lost furbabies in the future. It’s a simple stone, like a cement stepping stone, with the verse “If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I’d walk right up to heaven and bring you back again”. That describes perfectly how we feel and while we know it isn’t possible to do, the very thought of it does bring us comfort.

I know many people don’t understand this kind of love and grief for an animal, and that’s ok. God made us all different, so the things that matter the most to us are different too. But the pain is real, just like the love is real. And I know this love too, is from God. We are really looking forward to the day that we are reunited in heaven, believing completely that she is there, waiting for us. Even the great Billy Graham alluded to that once, when he said, “I believe God will provide whatever it takes to make us happy in heaven, and I believe our pets will be there for our pleasure.”

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who understood what we were going through and took the time to offer us comfort. Jeff and I both received many wonderful, beautiful words of support and we took great comfort in them. It warmed our hearts to realize how many people have had, loved and lost their own furbabies. Thank you all for the amazing comments, poems and images that you left us, and for the many prayers that were said for us. We really, truly appreciate them and they helped more than I can say. God bless you all!

2 comments:

LauraLee Shaw said...

Oh, Tracy, I'm so glad you've taken the time to be silent. No matter what we're going through, sometimes we just need to be still. Sometimes I'm silent to others and "real outloud" with God, you know? Anyway, I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you're beginning to see the light again. Hugs.

Joanne Sher said...

Oh, Tracy. I'm glad you're finding ways to cope. The stone sounds lovely, and I'm glad you're feeling like you're getting back to your "old self" a bit.
Continuing to pray, and looking forward to more writing from you.