The Messageboard:

Remember, I have moved my book reviews to their own blog. Tracy's Book Nook is now active.


Friday, July 4

Little One ~ Fiction Friday

Fiction Friday is hosted by Patty Wysong, at her blog Patterings. For more great fictional stories, by Patty and other awesome writers, or to submit your own Fiction Friday post, please click here on Patterings or click on the Fiction Friday button in the sidebar on the right.


My Dearest Little One,

If you’re getting this letter, it means I’m not coming home. I’ve asked your mommy to hold it for you until you are old enough to understand. We met once, though you don’t remember. That was the best day of my life. It’s one of the memories that helps me get through this awful time. To think that I won’t be there for you and watch you grow up breaks my heart, because I love you very much.

I know it will be difficult for you to understand why I had to leave you and your mommy. I didn’t want to, but I had to. It was my duty and my honor. You see, when you were born, our country was at war. And war is a terrible thing. But sometimes we have to go through something terrible for a greater good. It’s hard to explain what could seem to be more important than my family, but I’ll try.

Our country was built on the belief that all people should have the right to freedom in life. Many places in the world don’t have freedom. I had to go help another country try to gain their freedom, from awful men who ruled over them harshly. You see, it was important not only to them, but to us too. Those who hate freedom, hate America and everything it represents. They try to hurt our country and kill our citizens whenever they can. We couldn’t allow that to happen.

To give my life for the cause of freedom is a choice I’m honored to make. The end result is kind of like me giving my life so you can continue to live. There are worse things than dying for a good cause. Like living without honor and principles and courage.

It’s impossible to say everything I want to in a letter. How do I help you to grow up into an amazing young woman who will change the world? Unfortunately, most of that responsibility will rest on your mommy’s shoulders. But knowing her, I have no doubt that she will do a fantastic job.

In this life there are many kinds of people. There are givers and takers. Always be a giver. Give extravagantly of your time, love, friendship. Guard your heart from the takers. Stay close to Jesus, for He will always be near to you. Show kindness to others and always be courteous. Work hard and do well in school. Have goals for your life. Obey your mommy, she really does know what’s best for you and loves you very much. Walk in integrity and strength of character. Stand up for what is right. Love your country.

Have fun! Enjoy your life. Laugh a lot. It really does you good. Take time to watch the sun set and admire the beauty of God’s handiwork. Walk barefoot in the grass. Dance in the rain, as well as the sun. Admire the rainbow and remember God’s promise. Be aware of the wonder of nature. Listen to the sound of the ocean. Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

Don’t fear the storms in life. They come and they go. Adversity helps us grow stronger, and the brightest of days often follow the darkest of nights. Dream big and pursue your passions. Don’t be afraid to fail, it is the only way to succeed. Be a leader of your peers, not a follower. Live your life on purpose.

One day you will meet someone very special and get married. Wait for him and keep yourself pure for your wedding night. It really will be worth it. Don’t give in to peer pressure. You are stronger than you know. Don’t settle for the frogs because you have a prince out there, who has been hand picked for you by God Himself.

Little One, knowing you has made me a better person and soldier, even if we only met once. I wish I could have come home to you. I wish I could have held you and your mommy in my arms one more time. You have every bit of my heart. Though I’m not with you in this life, I’ll be with you in eternity. One day we’ll meet face to face and we’ll never have to be apart again. I look forward to that day.

With all my love,
Your Daddy

***Author’s Note: This was a FaithWriters Challenge entry and it received a 3rd place ranking, moving me up from the intermediate level to the advanced level. It is submitted here today, to honor those who continue to fight and pay the ultimate price for the freedom we are celebrating today, the 4th of July. I hope you enjoy it and please take a moment to remember and say a prayer for all of our troops, especially those in harms way.

5 comments:

Joanne Sher said...

Tracy - you brought a tear to my eye this morning. This is wonderful - no wonder it did so well at FW! Perfect for today. Thanks so much for sharing!

LauraLee Shaw said...

So touching. Beautifully written.

Laury said...

Love this. Thank you for sharing.

Julie Arduini said...

So appropriate and insightful. Very heartfelt writing here, Tracy!

Patty Wysong said...

This one pulled at my heart strings at FW, too. So good, Tracy! Perfect for the 4th of July!