The Messageboard:

Remember, I have moved my book reviews to their own blog. Tracy's Book Nook is now active.


Thursday, February 12

Salma and The Census ~ Current Event's Wrap Up

Ok, it’s Thursday, and you know what that means… It’s time for The Current Events Wrap Up meme, hosted by the amazing Julie Arduini at her The Surrendered Scribe blog. The Current Events Wrap Up meme is the vision God gave Julie for discussing what is going on in the world, nation and even our own lives. This is really a fantastic meme and we would love to see it grow. There is so much happening these days and it would be amazing to have a team of conservative commentators discussing their thoughts. Please go and check out Julie’s blog, and if you like current events or news, think about joining in and/or spreading the word!


Special Note: Next week, Thursday, Feb. 21st, Julie is doing something special. She is asking for lots of participation in discussing a very hot topic - Nadya Suleman and her 14 children. Please prayerfully consider joining us. If you would like the details, please click here.


Once again, there are a couple of things I would like to discuss.


~~~


It seems like I’m doing celebrity stuff a bit more lately, but hey, it is Current Events! I read a story today, which brought tears to my eyes, in a very good way. Salma Hayek was on a trip to Sierra Leone w/ (I believe) UNICEF in September as part of her involvement in the fight against tetanus, one of the reasons the country has the highest infant and child death rate in the world.


While there, she met a mother with an infant she was unable to feed because she had no milk. It apparently touched her deeply, so she took the starving, yet otherwise healthy baby and breastfed it herself. While she was in the process of weaning her own daughter, she still had plenty of milk to offer. I have no idea if she did anything further to help the mother and child, but this act itself is pretty amazing. (For more info, click here.) Bravo, Salma!


Now, with the election barely behind us, and the controversy about ACORN buying, or stealing, the election through the various fraudulent activities they’ve been caught in (I don’t have time or space to go into all that), now there is more. President Obama has announced that he is going to be having the Census director answering to the White House rather than leaving it solely to the Commerce Department. There are problems all over this.


Since the Census is what is used to determine congressional districts. In addition, it is used to determine the composition of the Electoral College, which chooses the President. And the Census is important in another way – the allocation of federal funds. The impact of this would be significant. Obviously if one party were in charge of the numbers, rather than an a-political, non-partisan organization, there could be significant skewing of the numbers to suit their needs.


Shockingly, I haven’t heard this reported in the MSM (mainstream media). I only found out about it through Fox News. I can only imagine what the reaction would have been, had President Bush, or any other Republican, attempted to do such a thing. (For more info, click here.)


Oh, and one more thing. In case you are interested in keeping any eye on the Spendulous Bill that is going to save our country, check out this site - Stimulous Watch

10 comments:

nitewrit said...

We Christians must be in much prayer for our nation at this time. Pray for God's mercy and for God's Will in our lives. Pray for our basic freedoms of religion and speech.

Larry E.

KM Wilsher said...

I agree. It's a scary time for the next generation!

Jennifer Taylor said...

I'm conservative so I'll go check it out.

Tracy said...

Larry - yes, we must pray! So many people (Christians) don't realize what is at stake in all of this. And we must act - speak out, vote, know and understand the issues.

KM - I agree it is a scary time for the next generation, however, I really believe the next generation will be instrumental in turning the tide. We must pray for them.

Jennifer - thank you so much for visiting my blog. I know Julie would love to have you participate, and I would too!

Avily Jerome said...

What is this world (country?) coming to?!

Thanks for the update on current events!

And, GO SALMA! That's really cool!

LauraLee Shaw said...

What a moving story, Tracy. I'm so glad you shared it. I love that God put this passion in Julie's heart, and yours.

Tracy said...

Avily - Your welcome for the updates - you know how reticent I am to share my opinions. ;-) Yeah, the Salma piece really got to me and I just had to share it!

LauraLee - Thank you so much, for continuing to come by and support me and Julie in this. I really hope others catch on to the vision. Yeah, with all the bad things you hear about celebrities these days, this story was definately a good one! I'm so glad you liked it!

KM Wilsher said...

I just can't get the Selma thing out my head. . .It's crazy. I pray the infant is doing well.

Julie Arduini said...

Tracy,
Thanks for your patience with me as I waited on internet! What a fabulous post. Our church is very connected with Sierra Leone, in fact we have a team there right now. They say if you can travel and serve in Sierra Leone, you can go anywhere. I pray Selma's trip was lifechanging in a way where not only Hollywood is impacted for Christ, but the mainstream media!

I have been trying hard to pray more for the President, his salvation, heavenly wisdom and resources for his job and ignore the headlines, even though my flesh is crawling to hear the little I do.

I'm living proof even one person praying can make a difference (because one person prayed for my salvation. Imagine if we all band together and believe in transformation for Christ!

Thanks Tracy for promoting this, especially next week's topic---writing on Nadya Suleman and her 14 children. I look forward to learning and reading from everyone!

Tracy said...

KM - I know it's awesome, isn't it!? I too hope the baby and mother have received more help and are doing well.

Julie - Yes! I pray for revival to sweep through Hollywood in a might and powerful way. I'm looking forward to next week - I hope others join us to discuss the Suleman family.